My Fan Club

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

What the crap? There's beaver anal secretions in my tea! And probably my ice cream...


I have lamented often on this blog about the evils of Facebook. It has gotten me in trouble more than once and I am certain that multiple people on their have me blocked.

Sometimes I find valuable info on Facebook like great apps to download, meatless recipes and confirmation that I am not the only person addicted to Pinterest.

Today I found out about Castoreum and apparently it might be in my tea. Seriously?

What is castoreum ? Apparently it is the extract of the anal glands of a beaver. It is used in perfuming and as a "natural flavoring" in quite a few items.

It is found in a variety of foods including: alcoholic beverages, baked goods, frozen dairy, chewing gum, candy, beverages, meat products, pudding, gelatin, ice cream, vanilla flavoring, raspberry flavored food

Um...it takes a lot to make at a loss for words but I truly am.

How did this ingredient find it's way into food? Who decided this was a good idea?

I am imagining a bunch of suits sitting around wondering how to make the diet raspberry tea taste more like raspberry without actually spending money on raspberries.

Ugh...I am at a loss here...

4 random thoughts:

Cap'n Salty said...

Oh! Pizy and I saw this on TV the other day and I about gagged. He looked right at me and said "I am never eating anything with vanilla, ever again." I looked at him and said "more cookies for me."

SparkleFarkel said...

Whoa! Castoreum is definitely one of those words that sounds like what it is. (Actually, the word "onomatopoeia" suggests itself, wouldn't you agree?) The next time I go to the market, I will have to ask, "In which aisle might I find the exudate from the castor sacs of beavers, please?"

Thanks for this incredible inside story. LOL!

Pish Posh said...

Okay here's the thing. I actually knew about the anal beaver gland secretion and then forgot about it. WHO DOES THAT?

And I now totally love Jamie Oliver now that I know how passionate he is about insisting we provide healthier food for children.

Maggie said...

I heard about the beaver anal gland secretion on the TV (medical information show with actual doctors, not actors) called "The Doctors" about a month ago. I almost died!! What I need to know is, I see that it is an ingredient in diet raspberry tea, what about regular raspberry ice tea? I sure hope not! I drank it by the gallons till I heard about this; waiting for an answer. Will sit and read with a bag on my lap, just in case I need it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Me

My Photo
kisatrtle
I'm a 41 year old (gasp) freelance writer, school cafeteria manager, wife and mother. I have three children and one anxious and overweight beagle. I use my blog to make others laugh, to share some cool crafts, to document my lunchlady adventures and to lament about the challenges faced by us all on the journey called life. Thanks for visiting. Please leave some crack...um...I meant some comments.
View my complete profile